The Holy Trinity Church, or Aya Triada Kilisesi, is steps below Taksim Square at the top of İstiklal Caddesi. One of the largest Greek Orthodox churches in Istanbul, it was constructed circa 1880 by the architect Kampanaki. Flanked by two bell towers, its dome is uncommon among Orthodox Churches in Istanbul; its construction was only made possible by an 1839 edict loosening restrictions on the expression of minority religions in the Ottoman Empire. Prior to this era of reform, known as the Tanzimat, these restrictions included a ban on the erection of domes for Christian houses of worship.
The church’s Baroque interior is well-lit, allowing enough light to see the paintings of Biblical scenes, icons, and the frescoed ceiling. Rows of Orthodox ecclesiastic pews, engraved with the names of patrons, line the walls. The landscaped grounds and neo-Gothic facade can be viewed from the back balcony of Hacı Baba restaurant, a touristic restaurant serving traditional Turkish and Ottoman cuisine.
To arrive at Aya Triada, walk down İstiklal Caddesi and take the first left. You’ll see the church on the left-hand side of the street.