Kuru Fasulye is one of the classic winter dishes of Turkey. You can find it in restaurants with beef, veal, and even pastırma, churning in pots for hours to get its distinctive taste, but we've got a simpler version for you that can easily be prepared at home.
White Beans 240gr
Diced Veal 240gr
Tomato (Diced) 40 gr
Pepper (Diced) 20 gr
Tomato Paste 20gr
Sunflower oil 20gr
Sugar 2 gr
- Place the white beans in water and leave them to soak overnight.
- The next day, strain the beans and boil them until they are soft. As the beans rise to the top while boiling, add in some cold water for them to cook evenly.
- In a seperate pan, sweat the diced onions in sunflower oil then add in and brown the meat.
- Add in the tomato paste and pour in 6 cups of water.
- When the meat is almost cooked strain the white beans and add them into the mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper and add in the sugar.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and peppers.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then turn the heat down and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
Recipe appears courtesy of Rana Kumar of the Istanbul Culinary Institute.